James McLaughlin

Pawtucket councilors recommend shorter distance requirements for outdoor fires

Pawtucket is getting new rules on fire pits.
Pawtucket is getting new rules on fire pits

PAWTUCKET – Going against a recommendation from the city’s fire chief, members of the City Council’s ordinance subcommittee have recommended a 25-foot setback requirement for outdoor fires.

Other recommendations within the revised fire ordinance should give Fire Chief John Trenteseaux the teeth he and his staff need to enforce the ordinance, said councilors, who indicated that they don’t want to effectively prevent many residents on smaller properties from enjoying legally purchased fire pits. 

Trenteseaux explained at the May 6 council meeting that he was recommending a 50-foot limit between fires and buildings based on his safety concerns related to the density of Pawtucket’s housing stock and how frequently a small fire here turns into a big one and quickly destroys one or more buildings. He referenced a large-scale fire on Harrison Street several years ago, as well as a fire last year that destroyed a fence and several structures in someone’s back yard. 

North Providence Memorial Day Events

Everyone thinks anyone should be able to have a fire, said the chief, but it’s not the safest approach in a city with a history of fast-moving fires, and his obligation first is for the safety of the city and recommending the safest option without being too harsh. Someone not paying attention to their small backyard fire can end up burning down a three-decker home or an entire city block, he said. 

Fifty feet is reasonable for Pawtucket, said Trenteseaux, who emphasized that more rural communities have the luxury of having different standards because there’s more space between homes. 

“When we burn, we burn fast,” he said, adding that many fires, including past ones in the city’s mills, have started off very small and quickly get out of control. He mentioned properties on the west side of the city where homes are so close together that three of them could go up in flames at once.

United Way 211

Councilor Clovis Gregor, who initially brought up his discomfort with the more restrictive ban because it would unfairly target residents on smaller properties, said Trenteseaux’s overall inclusion of his recommendations on clearer standards was appreciated, including that fires must be attended by adults, that dry wood must be used, and that a hose or bucket of water must be kept close.

Trenteseaux acknowledged that the Fire Department has very few issues with backyard fires each year. There are only two or three issues per year, he said, and once someone is spoken to, they usually don’t cause a problem again. H said there are far too many instances, however, of fires causing extensive damage, including an infamous large-scale fire at Sterry Street Towing. 

“The problem with fires is you can’t control them,” he said.

Council President Terry Mercer, who was sitting in on the meeting, said he understood completely where Gregor was coming from, as well as the chief, saying he would probably “stick to my guns as well” on the recommendation. The council, however, could choose a different route, he said. The ordinance has other requirements for enforcement, he said, and he could see himself going with a 25-foot limit to allow more people to participate in recreational burning. 

Councilors asked Trenteseaux for his blunt assessment of a reduction to 25 feet, which is the state’s minimum distance for fires.

“It definitely increases the hazard,” said the chief, adding that there would be liability for the city if something should happen, and it would look pretty bad.

Mercer said he disagreed, adding that if someone is going to be reckless and disregard rules, it doesn’t matter what distance the council sets. He said the revised ordinance is as safe as it can be with exception of the distance requirement, with enforcement tools throughout. 

Trenteseaux presented, and the council recommended, a change in wording on types of devices that would be allowed to make it simpler. The wording now states that a fire shall be contained in a safe, approved, listed device for use as a fire pit or chimney type appliance.

Committee member Neicy Coderre expressed concerns about the 25-foot standard, asking Trenteseaux to again spell out how concerned he is about a reduction from 50 feet. 

“It’s dangerous, there’s no other way to put it,” he responded.

Committee member David Moran agreed with Gregor’s assessment that the 25 feet is acceptable and there are other safeguards in place for enforcement. He and Gregor both indicated that the liability would be on the resident if they’re being irresponsible, and that an irresponsible person could burn down a structure even if the requirement is 50 feet.

The recommendation was 2-1 in favor of recommending the shorter distance, with Coderre voting no and Gregor and Moran voting yes. The revised ordinance will now go to the full council.

Par 3 Near Me

As Trenteseaux previously explained to the council, the city currently has no real ability to respond in dealing with people who burn trash in larger containers or who are otherwise starting fires irresponsibly. The ordinance being replaced allowed fires only for outdoor cooking, leading to frequent instances of someone keeping marshmallows or hotdogs nearby in case fire personnel showed up.

Changes allow people to have fires as long as they follow the rules, says the chief, and they allow fire personnel to put a stop to dangerous or nuisance situations. 

Ethan Shorey

Ethan Shorey

Ethan Shorey is the founder and editor of The Local Insider News, a digital media news source centered on the northern Rhode Island area. The president of the Rhode Island Press Association, he has two decades of experience covering stories that matter to people where they live. He and his wife live with their three children in Cumberland. Email news tips to .